Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Witness this...

In a previous blog post, I suggested that The Sliding Door Company might be getting "cold feet" about giving testimony at a deposition.  I suggested their testimony might not align well with the provable facts.  It won't.

It wouldn't be right for me to complain if I hadn't ALREADY given my own testimony to TSDC's new attorneys.  

Indeed, I had to drag my butt to downtown LA, pay $40 for parking, and spend a whole day testifying to their attorneys - a prestigious nationally known law firm.

They grilled me for a whole day... with questions like "What was your first job when you graduated high school... and what was your next job after that..."  It was, indeed, exhausting.  I can imagine nobody enjoys giving testimony in a deposition, but it is part of the legal process and has to be done.

So, I went into the "lion's den" and answered their questions truthfully.  The environment was very pleasant, their attorneys were very polite.

They didn't get what they wanted from me however.  I suspect they were looking for some sort of admission that I had received the "Employee Handbook" despite not having signed the receipt for it.  They came up empty-handed in this regard.  Other documents which actually displayed my signature, I had no problem identifying and confirming.

All-in-all, I think I did pretty good in my deposition.  I was truthful, and encountered no questions I had difficulty answering honestly.  I was asked about ADA issues and questioned about how I identified them.  I was asked about safety issues and questioned about how I identified those.  

Almost comically, their attorney asked me if I could quote the International Building Code and ADA guidelines, by number, that The Sliding Door Company was in violation of (as I have done throughout this blog).  Of course, without the code books in front of me, I could not.

Their attorney was questioning my competence and knowledge with regard to architecture and engineering.  I have 40 years of architecture and engineering experience.  I think I might have frustrated their attorney's efforts to suggest I was speculating on safety and ADA issues.

At the end of the day, there were still a few questions remaining - especially regarding the invasion of my privacy and spyware installed on my home computer. The deposition may have to be continued.


It gets better...

As we were packing up (off the record) The Sliding Door Company's attorney apparently lost composure.  I was informed that TSDC's attorneys were reading my blog... THIS blog.  Furthermore, it was suggested that I had made public the name of the person who had breast cancer surgery in this blog post.  Since I didn't know who might have had breast cancer surgery at the time, I was confident I had NOT identified anyone on my blog and told them so.  In defending this accusation, TSDC's OWN ATTORNEY identified the person who had "emergency breast cancer surgery" TO ME.  


Let me say that again...

The Sliding Door Company's attorney representing one of the largest and most prestigious law firms in the country, apparently broke the most sacred of trusts, attorney-client privilege and gave extremely personal information about their client to someone who is BLOGGING about them.


I'm NOT them...

Despite the fact that The Sliding Door Company violated my privacy repeatedly, I never did, and never will violate the privacy of the person who has breast cancer despite that they may be testifying against me.    
Now that I know who it is, I want to publicly offer my heartfelt support to them.



No comments: